Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sharpening the GIS Saw

This year, for the first time, I am attending the International GIS conference in San Diego put on by ESRI (Environmental Science Resources Institute). I haven't seen so many geography geeks under one roof in my life! There are so many of us that we take up the entire San Diego Conference Center.I am here to hone my GIS skills, to present information about my Don Juan project (the mountain right behind Palenque), to learn from other people doing archaeology GIS, and to learn the new GIS tools that ESRI has been developing for their products this year.

In addition, I decided to be daring and stay at an International Youth Hostel to save money. Here is a picture of the establishment.

Here is a shot of the front desk.
But when I asked them about the bathrooms and showers, they told me that "yes, they are unisex". So I am thinking -- how does that work? Do I keep my privacy behind the walls of the shower? I know that the lady behind the desk was very amused at my question. I am, afterall, the oldest person in the joint.

No comments: